(Information on Mount Sinai to come)
Miller Place was originally a part of the Old Mans territory purchased in 1664 by the Town of Brookhaven which was in what is today Setauket. The name Miller Place derives from the first permanent settler in the area, Andrew Miller, and the name took hold some time around 1700. In those days, roads did not have a name such as North Country Rd, but were referred to as the road from one place to another. In this instance the road was from Town (Setauket) to Andrew Miller's Place, eventually the Andrew was dropped, and finally the 's was dropped in the early 1900s. The primary occupation was farming, however many young men went to sea, some for a few years, some for their entire career. Others were businessmen, there being a general store in the area since at least the 1790s. Several doctors over the centuries settled in Miller Place. Carpenters were some of the craftsmen who lived here.
The home of the minister of the Congregational Church of Old Mans (Mt Sinai), Miller Place, and Rocky Point is located on North Country Rd. The Academy was a private school established in 1834 to provide education for those willing to pay extra to have their children receive more than the basics provided by the local public school. One hundred shares were sold to members of the community. Students came from the community and other parts of Long Island. As the shareholders were from the Congregational Church, they sought teachers from Yale University, a Congregational school at the time. The Academy lasted until the 1860s. It has since been used as a public school, meeting place, polling place and library. It still owned by descendants of the original shareholders. Miller Place became one of the many vacation areas on Long Island for those of the middle class and working class looking for respite from the NYC heat. Many people boarded with local families. In the 1890s until after WWII there was a place known as The Holiday House which provided rooms for young women. They were able to take walks, ride, play lawn games, go bathing, and spend quiet evenings on the porch. There were dances in the barn were to which the entire community was invited, with music provided by local "orchestras."
Starting with the Bicentennial, several members of the community worked to get a Historic District Ordinance passed in the Town of Brookhaven. When this task was completed, they sought and received Historic District designation in 1979, the first one in the Town of Brookhaven. The Historic District goes from the William Miller House on the west end of No. Country Rd east to just beyond the Vassilaros house, and along Lower Rocky Point Rd till it reaches Gully Landing Rd. This district is also on the National Register of Historic Places.
Edna Davis Giffen, Past President Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society