Miller Place - Mount Sinai Historical Society
About Us
The Miller Place Historical Society was founded in 1979. In 1982 the name was changed to Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society to reflect the membership of the Society and the close ties the two communities have had since the 1600s. The mission of the Society is to collect, preserve and disseminate the history of New York State with emphasis on Miller Place, Mount Sinai, and environs. The Society owns two properties with several buildings.
The original owner of the land on which the 1720 William Miller House was built, was William’s grandfather Andrew Miller Sr. Andrew Miller Sr., who was born in England (1632-1717), immigrated to America with his family when he was eleven. Andrew was a cooper in East Hampton until he came to the area called Old Mans around 1670. Andrew Miller purchased approximately 105 acres from Brookhaven Town and built his home near the pond. Andrew Sr. deeded his home lot in Old Mans to his son Andrew Jr. in 1709. Andrew Jr., who had built his own home, died in 1716.
The Miller House was acquired by the Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society in 1979 from the estate of Harry Millard, the last lineal descendant of William Miller. The house consists of three sections: the middle room, built in 1720 is the original section. In 1750 a second house was attached to the west end of the house. A third house was brought to the site and added to the east end of the house in 1816. The house is significant as very little of the interior has been changed in the two hundred eighty plus years of its existence. The Society restored the house in the early 1980s. Listing on the National Register of Historic Places enabled the eventual preservation and restoration of the structure. The Miller Place-Mount Sinai Historical Society maintains the 1720 William Miller House as a museum and the center for its many historically educational activities.
Daniel Hawkins came from Setauket. His descendants owned the house until the 1930s when it was sold to the McCaddin family of Brooklyn. In 1998 Linda and Arthur Calace purchased the house and donated it to the Historical Society.The Daniel Hawkins House is located on North Country Road, just east of the 1720 William Miller House. The Society has undertaken a major fund drive to finance the restoration of this historic gem. The Daniel Hawkins House will be used as an archival library and exhibition space, allowing the Society to use the William Miller house as a living museum.